Read the daily quote from Pope Francis

 

About Our Parish

 

Parish History

From 1851 The Roman Catholic faithful of Danbury worshipped at Saint Peter Church on South Main Street.  By the early part of the twentieth century, the Catholic population had grown dramatically. In the spring of 1905, the Most Reverend Michael Tierney, Bishop of Hartford, established Saint Joseph Parish on the northern end of Main St. On May 6, 1905, the Reverend John D. Kennedy was appointed the first pastor of the newly established parish.

In the ensuing decades, the parish of Saint Joseph continued to grow and flourish. Saint Joseph School opened its doors for the first time on September. 7, 1924. The school was originally staffed by the Sisters of Mercy. Many priests and religious sisters have left their mark in the parish of Saint Joseph. Many are still revered by the present day parishioners.

At the beginning of the twenty-first century, Saint Joseph Parish continues to bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ to young and old alike. Saint Joseph School continues to provide excellent academic and religious training. The Parish Religious Education Program attends to the needs of the parish public school children. The parishioners continue to enrich the spiritual and social life of the parish in many ways.

Pastors through the years:

Rev. John D. Kennedy

1905 – 1911

Rev. William J. Dullard

1911 – 1926

Rev. James E. O'Brien

1926 – 1930

Rev. Edward J. Plunkett

1930 – 1946

Rev. James J. Kane

1946 – 1956

Rev. Msgr. Edward J. Duffy

1956 – 1969

Rev. Harry L. Hale

1969 – 1995

Rev. James D. Grosso

1995 – 2003

Rev. Michael F. Dogali

2003 – 2011

Rev. Samuel V. Scott

2011

 

Saint Joseph Church is located at 8 Robinson Avenue, Danbury, CT 06810-5517

 

 

 

Online Giving

Online Giving

Secure and Convenient Donate now!